Saturday, August 23, 2014

Waiting for the Sun

I’m not sure if it’s the jet lag or excitement that has caused me to wake before the sun this morning.  I lie here awake, snuggled under my mosquito net, reflecting on the last week and a half, ready for the day to start.  After many weeks of preparation and anticipation, the journey officially began last Wednesday as I said my goodbye to my family and boarded a plane to Chicago.  Thankfully a few teary goodbyes where followed by many more hellos.  The YAGM program staff excitedly welcomed the 63 of us at the Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago.  We discussed themes of accompaniment, racial justice, and religious pluralism, among other things.  Throughout the week, I was continually amazed by my peers.  I was amazed by the experiences that brought them here, the hard questions they asked, and their desire to connect with those around them.

One of the highlights of the week was the scavenger hunt Saturday night.  To practice navigating unfamiliar cities without GPS to guide us, each country group was given an envelope of clues that would lead us to various restaurants of our host countries’ cuisine.  The clues led us all over Chicago and the six of us going to Rwanda eventually found our way to a little African restaurant downtown.

Another highlight was our final night in Chicago.  The evening began with a closing worship service.  As we were commissioned for a year of service abroad, I know I was not the only one overwhelmed by the journey ahead and hesitant to leave this community we had formed in the last week.  But one of my favorite things about these new friends I have made is the energy with which they approach life and with which they worship.  So true to form, as the tears dried, the service ended in a dance party.

Wednesday morning brought another round of goodbyes as we left for new homes all over the world.  One of the songs we had been singing throughout the week was a swingin’ African tune with the lyrics, “Come walk with us.  The journey is long.”  This song took on a whole new meaning as our group sat on the tarmac in Chicago waiting for engine problems to be fixed.  And then as our plane flew circles waiting for a storm to pass over Washington D.C.  And then as we turned around to refuel in Pittsburg.  And then as another lightening storm lit up the Pittsburg runway.  Long story short, we arrived in Kigali a day later than planned but in good spirits and with all of our luggage.  Kate, our country coordinator, greeted us at the airport and brought us to a guest house in Kigali where we will be spending the next three weeks learning more about the country and trying to master Kinyarwanda before we go to our various placement sites throughout the country.


Now, I’m just waiting for the sun to rise so I can begin to explore my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment